Monday, September 28, 2009

Being Real on reality TV

Sometimes I think that the more obnoxious, mean, and stupid reality shows are, especially the competitive ones (what are the most over-the-top ones we can think of? Surreal World is pretty bad. For example, there was the time when Vern, who plays mini-me, got drunk. and the [whatever] of Love ones are too) the more "real" they really are. I feel like that when I'm in one of those moods where I'm feeling down on people and judgmental about them--when it seems like every third person I see is throwing candy wrappers in the street or swearing loudly at their kids or cutting me off with their BMW in the crosswalk. That's when it makes sense to me to see people acting the fool, exploiting each other, playing off stereotypes, and selling themselves short, all for a little bit of money. When I'm feeling like that, those shows can sometimes seem like an honest reflection of the way most people really are. But...

TO BE CONTINUED...

2 comments:

  1. I wonder though whether a lot of the really bad behavior isn't simply to get attention. If you are bad, you get the camera time. If you are good & nice, you are BORING! And no one will date you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that not true it is more of the Attention factor. Look at American Idol people go on the show just to be on TV and some do it to make themselves look silly. I guess you can call it " 5 seconeds of fame".

    ReplyDelete